Spoon Bread, Suppone or Suppawn.. Spoon bread at its best is like a soufflé version of cornbread, slightly crusty and chewy on top and soft and airy inside. The name may derive from suppone or suppawn, a Native American word for mush made from cornmeal mixed with. Spoonbread is the richest, lightest, and most delicious of all corn meal breads.
The whole thing is flavored with salt and sugar, then baked in an oven like a pudding. It is often served as a side dish, sometimes accompanied by gravy or various sauces. Spoon bread has a long history and has a similar texture to a soufflé. You can cook Spoon Bread, Suppone or Suppawn. using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spoon Bread, Suppone or Suppawn.
- Prepare 1 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- Prepare 1-1/4 cup of buttermilk.
- Prepare 1 cup of boiling beef broth.
- You need 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 3 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup.
- Prepare 5 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Prepare As needed of butter for eating the bread.
It is served with a spoon, hence its name. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) Spoon bread is a Southern dish similar to cornbread, but it's more like a soufflé; many. Although moist and light, the souffles are more like spoon bread than the classic puffer. My wife used a large biscuit cutter to make rounds of spoon bread The book is as American as apple pie, or spoon bread, or baked beans, and its influence must have been great during those times. A pudding-like bread usually based on cornmeal and baked in a casserole dish.
Spoon Bread, Suppone or Suppawn. instructions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the salt, cornmeal, and honey..
- Add the boiling broth, slowly with the melted butter. Don't let any lumps set. When blended well let cool about 5-7 minutes..
- When cooled add the buttermilk. Wisk till it's incorporated in..
- Beat the eggs, then add them to the cornmeal mixture. Wisk in the baking powder..
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan. Bake 35-45 minutes let it set. Get it golden brown..
- Spoon it out, serve with butter. I hope you enjoy!!.
Spoon bread is generally served as a side dish and, in fact, is soft enough that it must be eaten with a spoon or fork. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted. She links spoon bread's origins to Native Americans "with a traditional Carolina Low Country rendition called Awandaw named for a Native American Some culinary authorities maintain that spoonbread can be traced back to the Indian porridge called suppone or suppawn. This spoon bread recipe from Edna Lewis is made with cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, and a bit of sugar and salt. Spoon bread is so-called because it's supposed to be so soft that you can't cut it with a knife as you do corn bread, explains LC recipe tester and Southern food aficionado Karen Depp, who.